As we get closer to the end of 2022 and look forward to 2023, FireFish Arts is proud of the good work we now do year-round in our Lorain community.
In our Portrait of a City arts enrichment program, young people from Lorain work alongside Lorain artists, creating art together that celebrates the history and spirit of Lorain and its diverse people:
- Hometown Heroes – Teens in the ACES youth program work with artists Ryan Craycraft and Jeff Pye, researching Lorain’s Black, Latino, and women role models and leaders at the Lorain Historical Society, then creating large-scale portraits of those that inspire them.
- Stories of Lorain – Experimenting with new and old technologies, students from Lorain High School and LCCC work alongside Lorain video artist Hiatt Hernon to create their own video “portraits” of Lorain.
- Farewell Transmission – Celebrating the legacy of Lorain native Jason Molina, students from Lorain work with local artists to create music, poetry, spoken word, and a large-scale mural designed and painted by Tommy Nicoloff.
Other partnerships enable us to bring art and artists to community youth and their families:
- Our work with Main Street Lorain included providing hundreds of families and youth monthly mini “chalk walk” and artmaking opportunities at First Friday Block Parties.
- Art making at Central Park’s “Art in the Park” provided opportunities for nearly 300 Lorain youth and their families to participate in art making for the FireFish Festival.
- FireFish Festival artmaking workshops with artists, community members, and youth from the ACES program enabled participants opportunities to help make art and art installations for the FireFish Festival — including the GIANT FireFish.
One student said, “from making the FireFish I learned that you could do anything that you put your mind to, even when you don’t know where to start.”
It’s because of the generosity of our donors that we can bring enriching arts programming to our youth and our community 365 five days a year.
Please donate to FireFish Arts today!
Please consider a year-end donation to FireFish to allow us to keep up this important work 365 days per year. Donations can be made via Venmo @FireFishArts, or checks made payable to “Fire Fish Arts” can be mailed to 520 Broadway Ave.3rd Floor Lorain, OH 44052.